Primary Respiratory Mechanism rhythmic micro-motion is shown as macro-motion.
William Sutherland, DO, the originator of Osteopathy in the Cranial Field, described an inherent motion of the body that is essential for life and health. He called this motion the Primary Respiratory Mechanism (PRM). The PRM has five components:
1. inherent motility of the brain and the spinal cord
2. fluctuation of the cerebrospinal fluid
3. motility of the intracranial and intraspinal membrane
4. articular mobility of the bones of the cranium
5. involuntary mobility of the sacrum.